• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens if I transfered to Intel?

Atreyu098

Can someone give me a gouge on what would happen if I fell out of flight school or DOR'd to go Intel? What would it be like for a new Ensign? Where you do go first, what are typical tours like. Stuff like that. I tried looking around but wanted to get some up-to-date information if anyone knew.

(Also chances of DOR'ing and getting Intel, or if anyone else has other options you can do out of flight school if you didn't make it through)

azguy

None
From a quick glance at your profile, it looks like you're still a Mid(?) If so, your best bet is to focus on getting through flight school. I don't know what the attrition rate is but suffice it to say, the vast majority of people make it through to getting their wings. There's no reason you can't make it happen.

I understand that intel has a certain allure for the unwashed, but Navy intel is probably nothing like what you imagine. Happy to PM if you don't believe me and want specifics. Not to sour you on the community, but if I were you, I'd plan on finishing flight school.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
If you can get through NROTC/OCS/Academy, you have a pretty good shot at not DOR'ing. But I know a few people who got NPQ'ed switched over to Supply. But that, as with other designators, is likely to be dependent on whether they have any open slots available at such a time as you might re-designate.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Can someone give me a gouge on what would happen if I fell out of flight school or DOR'd to go Intel? What would it be like for a new Ensign? Where you do go first, what are typical tours like. Stuff like that. I tried looking around but wanted to get some up-to-date information if anyone knew.

(Also chances of DOR'ing and getting Intel, or if anyone else has other options you can do out of flight school if you didn't make it through)

If you DOR or fail out of flight school you've got about an 80% chance of being booted from the active component Navy all together if the recent history trends continue. Very limited opportunities to re-designate on the active duty side of the house. A reserve gig may be an option for you but associating and finding an intel unit to drill with who will take you, as well as finding another job to feed yourself, in the area you're doing the reserve gig in, sounds like it could be difficult for someone whose fresh out of college. I do know one dude who attrited from strike advanced in flight school and was able to go reserve IW and drilled in DC. He hated it and eventually just went IRR though.

If I was you, I'd make peace with not having the vision needed to be a pilot and go be a productive member of the team as an NFO. Shit happens for a reason, no point being overly bitter about it. I certainly wouldn't DOR from flight school, or half ass my way to attrition over it. Forget being a quitter and go give FOdom your best effort and see how it works out.

I told this to all of my students: If you're absolutely miserable and hate it, stick it out for a while to see if it gets better, if not then consider bowing out, but don't talk about DORing until you're 100% committed because you can't come back from that.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Right now if you go to a POCR board (what happens if you DOR) you will probably be booted from the Navy. I had a buddy told that from the dude who coordinates all of the boards about a month ago. He said the only thing that could help you stay in is if you owe the Navy a lot of money.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Yes, you'd be treated as a new Ensign and take an O-1/2 billet out of training vice being treated like a lat transfer.

To expand a bit on the "not what you'd expect" stuff:

- It's more Jane's than James Bond. Lots of technical stuff about enemy capabilities and limitations, their behavior patterns, and so on. I think this stuff is really interesting, but I think some people believe that intel is all about thinking the big thoughts about political science. It isn't, and that is kind of disappointing for some.
- You will not do a tour with something badass like SEALs right out of the gate (or EOD or any exped stuff)
- You can very easily get a first tour in a squadron if you are passionate about staying close to the aviation community (but you'll spend a lot of time doing collateral duties like security manager)

I would have killed to take NFO if it had been an option when I NPQed from pilot. Go for that. Your profile says that you wanted helos, but do you really think that life would be terrible in a P-8 or the back of an -18 of some sort? I sure as hell don't. I love this stuff, and if NFO doesn't work out for you then I encourage you to go for intel. In all likelihood you'd be separated unless you had a scholarship or something.
But for now ask yourself, do you want to do cool stuff or make powerpoints about the cool stuff that other people do?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I understand the desire to fly helos, but if your cards didn't include perfect eyesight, then for the LOVE OF GOD go NFO over any other option. Any job that involves flying for at least a chunk of the career path is far better than any other boat/ground job. If you wing as an NFO, I'd be willing to bet that in two years you won't even think about being a pilot. If you end up as an intel-o, I guarantee in two years you'll watch guys walking to their aircraft and be jealous. Or you might not even see them walk as you'll be trapped in the JIC updating a secret PowerPoint slide hoping that your command security program is good to go.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
If you wing as an NFO, I'd be willing to bet that in two years you won't even think about being a pilot. If you end up as an intel-o, I guarantee in two years you'll watch guys walking to their aircraft and be jealous.

Agreed. The highlight of my naval aviation career is an F-18 night trap....in the simulator. Maybe someday I'll get a backseat ride in something, but that's it. And if you aren't satisfied, you can try to lat transfer after your wings plus six are up.

OP: I love my job, but really, go for FO.

Renegade One

None
Sorry…too much good stuff and too many honest replies on this thread to allow me to comment to all as they deserve. So "just this":

DOR is not a good thing…and doesn't open many (any?) doors…except the one that says: "Don't let the door bump your ass on the way out." Don't go there. Why are you even THINKING that? Is is NOT…never has been?…an alternative Community Selection option. No one wants a quitter.

NPQ is something quite else…not uncommon…and there are always off-ramps. For aviation…NFO does not suck at all, and history sez you can still make 4 stars. Not that you should be thinking about that either…

LET73

When I commissioned seven years ago, the flight attrites were practically guaranteed intel if they wanted it. It seems like that's not the case so much anymore. Concentrate on flight school instead of worrying about what might come after. If you want to fly, do your best to stay in the aviation community; if it doesn't work out, you'll know you did everything you could.

That said, intel is what you make of it. Yes, there's a lot of powerpoint, and there are plenty of agonizingly boring things we do, but if you're smart about managing your career you can generally line up the jobs you do with your interests. And intel isn't all boredom and powerpoint slides.

Renegade One

None
When I commissioned seven years ago...
Ancient history…UBL is dead…budget is choking...it's all but over…and Afghanistan can NEVER be changed. Do you have any Chinese language skills?
... flight attrites were practically guaranteed intel if they wanted it…
Pretty sure that's no longer the case. But, I don't know. Maybe the above still pertains?
…intel isn't all boredom and powerpoint slides.
This, at least, is true. But…you have to be smart enough…and analytical enough…to MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Yes, I could tell you a story…but I won't. He's still on the payroll "somewhere".

LET73

Ancient history…UBL is dead…budget is choking...it's all but over…and Afghanistan can NEVER be changed.
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear; that was my point. It was true in the past that flight attrite to intel was quite common, but that's no longer the case.

This, at least, is true. But…you have to be smart enough…and analytical enough…to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Well, that's true for any job, isn't it? You can be adequate and get by, or you can work hard and be good at what you do.